What is Centralized Agencies Permitting System?

There are size and weight limits to vehicles and equipment that use the highway system. Oversize and overweight vehicles and equipment are required to obtain a permit to operate on our highways. Such restrictions are intended to protect the taxpayers’ investment in the highway system. Winnebago County is the only County in the State of Illinois that has a unified oversized/overweight permitting system. In other counties motorists and businesses are required to contact each of the governing agencies having jurisdiction over their desired routes of travel to obtain their permit to avoid the severe monetary penalties. In fact, this innovative program recently won Winnebago County the Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Public Innovator Award.

Oversized/Overweight permits for any of the roads in Winnebago County (excluding the Villages of Durand and any State Highways) can be obtained by calling our CAPS line at 815-319-4002 or by registering for a CAPS account.