Permits & Forms

Claim Form

The Winnebago County Highway Department has developed procedures for submitting claims for property damage to vehicles while traveling on highways under the jurisdiction and maintenance of the Highway Department. We cannot assume liability or responsibility for circumstances beyond its control including, but not limited to:

  • Weather related events and conditions such as ice, snow, flooding, tornadoes, etc.
  • Damages caused by other motorists/vehicles
  • Unreported road debris or conditions

To report a condition, download and complete the Claim Form. Submit your completed claim form along with any supporting documentation via email or postal mail. You may email your claim to our office at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or mail your claim to the following address: Winnebago County Highway Department, Attention: WCHD Claims, 424 North Springfield Avenue, Rockford, Illinois 61101. 

Access Permit

An application for a permit to access and construct any driveway, or to improve or modify an existing driveway, on a Winnebago County-maintained roadway shall be submitted to the County Highway Department. A permit is required from the County prior to starting installation of the proposed driveway on any County-maintained highway. 

 Application for Highway Access Permit

Please contact the permit technician at (815) 319-4000 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with questions regarding the access application or approval process. 

Oversize/Overweight Permit

 Winnebago County provides oversize/overweight permits for all agencies in Winnebago County excluding the Village of Durand and the State of Illinois. This one stop shop for permitting is called Centralized Agencies Permitting System or CAPS. 

Utility Permit

Procedure to obtain a permit for the placement of a utility facility along highways under the jurisdiction of Winnebago County:

 (To view documents click on the blue text) 

  1. Refer to the list of County Highway road segments to determine the jurisdiction of the proposed work location. If the work location is along a Winnebago County Highway, go to step 2.
  2. Fill out the Permit Application.
  3.  Refer to the fee chart and determine the amount of permit fee.
  4. Submit the application form (prescribed form) to the Winnebago County Highway Department with;

              1. The application fee ($ 500.00) and

              2. The application consisting of location plans, description of proposed work, engineering plans, traffic control and protections plans.

      5. A department representative will check the applicable fee amount and/or any other deficiency in the application. Once the application form has been reviewed, the form will be returned either “Acceptable” or “Needs Revision.”   

      6. The permittee will then either:

              (a) If “Acceptable,” pay remaining fee amount i.e. the sum of “Highway Permit Fee” and “Traffic Control Fee.”

              (b) If “Needs Revision,” modify the application as requested and resubmit the form to the Highway Department.

      7. The Highway Department will issue a permit.

           Please make check payable to "Winnebago County Treasurer" and mail / walk-in to the address below.

           Winnebago County Highway Department

           424 N Springfield Avenue

           Rockford, IL 61101

Ordinance Code Utilities-Facilities, Right-Of-Way County Highway

Please send your application to the Highway Department Representatives. If you have any questions contact us.

Contacts: Prafull Soni Phone (815) 319-4028 Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

                  Joe Ponder Phone (815) 319-4024 Email  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.